It was Warren Buffett’s 83rd birthday last week. Reflecting upon his life and career, it brings up many fantastic reasons to love this guy.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 reasons right now…
1. He has an intricate, sometimes contradictory complexity which he easily hides behind his folksy charm. A Forbes writer once said that, “Buffett is not a simple person, but he has simple tastes.”
2. Instead of living in the heart of the financial sector of Wall Street, Buffett chose to stay 1250 miles away in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska.
3. He has a very strong internal scorecard in regards to all things investing. But his external scorecard is quite vulnerable when looking at many aspects of his personal life. He even has a penchant for seeking out mother figures.
4. Buffett’s perspective: “In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497.”
5. He’s humble. He’s like the guy in school that tells you he failed the math test, but turns out that he actually busted the top of the curve.
6. He thinks well beyond his years. His plans certainly exceed the length of his life span.
7. Here’s how Buffett says it… “Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”
8. He’s human. He’s afraid of his own mortality and nuclear wars. He’s very adept at business relationships, but not so adept with personal ones. He does hold a grudge. His father is his hero.
9. Classic Buffett line: “Rule #1: Never lose money. Rule #2: Never forget rule #1.”
10. Buffett was once branded as a stingy miser. But there’s no question that he is of all – and less it was his intention from the beginning – to become one of the most giving philanthropists of his time. He has grown his potential givings at a 20% compounded rate per year, and plans to give the majority of it away.
So there you have it. More reasons to love Warren Buffett. Thanks for taking the time to read this today.